…in these 6 top BBQ Eateries in Louisville
Dating back to the early existence men still to this day live by the simple principal – get meat, start fire, cook meat.
Nothing is hotter or dearer to a man’s heart than some good ole BBQ. Just as man has evolved so has the art of preparing that meat and now men love BBQ, a cold beer and watching a good game on television.
The Louisville scene is not different and features some of the finest around. Just like any other topic men will debate what makes their favorite the best. Is it Memphis style, North Carolina, South Carolina, Kansas City or Texas?
Whatever your taste the ‘Ville has them all.
- Memphis style – rib or pulled the pork normally uses a dry rub consisting of garlic, paprika and other spices and served with a tomato based sauce.
- North Carolina features pork shoulder or rib that is brushed with a spice and vinegar mix utilizing a ketchup based sauce.
- One state down South Carolina changes the sauce to a mustard base that adds brown sugar to the vinegar and uses a pork butt.
- Kansas City style means that any meat is fair game and the aroma hypnotizes you since its cooked long, slow and over a low hickory wood featuring a thick and tangy molasses and tomato mixture.
- And in Texas of course everything is bigger and BBQ is no different. Heaping mounds of meat like brisket in the central part with a hot sauce, while in East Texas its chopped mixing pork and beef.
There are as many opinions as BBQ joints of who serves the best in Louisville, but here are a few places to kick off your seach.
FEAST BBQ – Louisville fans jumped for joy when the New Albany gem opened a second location in Louisville. Simplistic in design ordering at the counter your taste buds will think they are in heaven. The slow cook results in pulled pork, brisket, ribs and tacos. Don’t forget the homemade mac n cheese, fried pickles, and loaded tots. Enjoy 20 craft beers to accompany it.
116 W. Main, New Albany IN 812.920.0454
900 E. Market, Louisville, KY 502.749.9900
MOMMA’S MUSTARD & PICKLES BBQ – One of the few KC style spots in town, and now there are 2 locations. If you’re lucky you can catch up with the Mommas Food Truck around town too. Great BBQ, wings, sliders and house made pickles.
102 Bauer Ave, Louisville 502.938.MAMA
119 S. Hurstbourne, Louisville 502.290.7998
FRANKFORT AVE BEER DEPOT AND SMOKEHO– USE – A gem hidden between Crescent Hill and St. Matthews you can smell the cooking going on in the parking lot. Some KY Burgoo or chili starts things off before the pork. Great beer selection and enjoy sporting events on TV or on the patio play corn hole, ping pong or miniature golf.
3204 Frankfort Ave. 502.895.3223
SHACK IN THE BACK – If you’re in the Fairdale area you must know this local favorite. Slow cooked meats for 14 to 18 hours along with homemade sides including The Hump (homemade chips) and Bubba Fries (crinkle cut).
406 Mt. Holly Road 502.363.3227
SMOKETOWN USA – Out of this world chicken, brisket, pork and ribs the food and décor are as eclectic as the neighborhood. After stuffing yourself browse the yard sale type items that are for sale. Texas Pinto Beans and cabbage salad headline the vegetarian based side dishes. Feed your spirit here.
1153 Logan Street 502.409.9180
Local traditionalists still love:
JUCY’S BBQ – a Pewee Valley landmark that never disappoints. Texas style meat and ribs always have you coming back.
13706 LaGrange Road, Pewee Valley 502.241.5829